THE WORKS OF
The Complete Illustrations
- "I can twist any man alive around my finger!"
- Captain Wagge. Post-office, Bristol.
- There sat Magdalen, in an arm-chair before the looking-glass.
- "He might marry me."
- Her eyes, dim with watching, weary with grief, searched the lawyer's unfathomable face.
- "Ready?" he asked, stopping short after a while.
- He tucked his umbrella under his arm, and jocosely spelled his name for her further enlightenment.
- "No buzzing in my head! No Captain to shave to-morrow!"
- Captain Wragge started up on his knees, and stopped on them, petrified by astonishment.
- A mystery in his own house, under his own nose! What did it mean?
- "My color will."
- "Do you hear, you villain?"
- "Noel Vanstone, Esq., did you say?"
- "If you ever let him faint, you let him die."
- Mrs. Lecount moved with impenetrable dignity from the table to the door.
- He was dead!
- "Don't distress Mamma about me!" she said.
[Return to Wilkie